[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)

Welcome to the new community forum!

Return to Website

Stringy isn't the only kind of Viili? Two Kinds? - Yemoos Nourishing Cultures Forum

Stringy isn't the only kind of Viili? Two Kinds?

Viili Questions, Observations, Recipe and Flavoring Ideas, etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Nancy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Stringy isn't the only kind of Viili? Two Kinds?

Postby Nancy » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:47 pm

[Edited, Viili is the culture and in Finnish Villi means 'wild.']
Hmmm! Never seen mention of this until today finding one blog post that states there are two: plain and stringy or the terms he gave, Short and Long. If the viili you are culturing doesn't have stringiness that may be normal for it.

But if it isn't true, then we need to know how to culture to assure stringiness, honey-like texture. This blogpost makes a case for the stringy type being better. It does seem more authentic. Sets me to wondering, is Yemoos villi naturally plain or naturally stringy... but pictures seem to indicate stringy. I have bought it but decided to try another one first and am storing Yemoos's in the freezer. I am culturing the ''last one' of an Australian supplier's Ebay offering- the sole Villi entry on Ebay.

I like the taste. The texture is like regular yogurt but a little smoother and gentler. But.... No stringiness, no similarity to honey. A little evidence of detaching from sides of jar. And a little liquid on top of a smooth gelled surface.

I hope the forum is still active. Have the question sent to the Australian supplier and will report back.

Here is the blogpost http://fermup.com/blog/how-to-make-viili-at-home/

Frankie1

Re: Stringy isn't the only kind of Viili? Two Kinds?

Postby Frankie1 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:35 pm

Hi Nancy! Yes, I've heard that there's a long and short version. I've got the yemoos kind and I believe its the long ropey version. The short version is suppose to have a fuzzy surface, but I'm not sure. I've tried to find that short version, but can't seem to find it anywhere, at least not in the US. Good luck with your viili.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:38 pm

Thank you for replying Yay. I would like to recommend the source of the apparently short form version of Viili to you but have to confirm from them that what they do offer is that version, and my result normal.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:16 pm

Frankie1

Postby Frankie1 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:23 am

Yes, let me know what that short version is like. Thanks!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:23 am

Custardy. A little thicker than custard therefore more satisfying. Smooth surface. Mild taste, not even as small a bite as one finds in plain yogurt. If it were merely like yogurt I would not be interested. The very texture is not the same. I use a very small straw to sip it. We could say suck it, as it is not a really sipping situation. I don't flavor nor want to flavor. It is relaxing and gentle. I am also mixing it with kefir grains and adding milk, carrying through this mixture but not yet trying to see whether the kefir grains I am using for this project have been 'permanently' changed by the experience of culturing alongside viili.

What I mean is, I add viili, a tablespoon per cup of milk, to each jar I am using for viili kefir culture. Then follow directions for viili culturing:

do not stir ever until ready to eat [but with viili kefir culture I do a light stir once it has been refrigerated to test the result visually]
put into refrigerator once it is set
decant or use as starter for another jar

It sets but not with a smooth surface as viili alone does, but thicker than kefir. On refrigeration thickening is seen to increase.

So far, I find it a bit more bite-y than viili on its own, but not nearly as sour as kefir can get even when not over-fermented at all. It is slightly lemony maybe, at least some batches have seemed so.

re: Plain kefir, an aside on thickening: I decant kefir or put it into the refrigerator once there are any signs at all that it is cultured, even teeny ones, at the very bottom of the jar. Once or twice it has been done but no signs... and that's because of stirring maybe more than usual even - very thick and goes into the refrigerator if the sun is up and time is up. By that I mean, I have recently learned to create very thick kefir in which the grains also multiply rapidly, simply by culturing it outside at night on a lanai, when it is cooler - which is a kind of porch and is also the name of an island named for the shape of a porch which is part of the Hawai'ian chain. And each time I wake up I go outside and stir. This works to thicken even with 2% milk.

As I said, though, I am keeping viili kefir culturing entirely separate from plain kefir culturing, and from plain viili culturing.

If we look at it like, this may not work... the culture may die en route, we can till try it. But we could take our time deciding exactly how we send.

When I say plastic bag I envision a medium small plastic bag like the kind at a health food store, with 4 tablespoons or more of viili culture, put into a bubble wrap situation or a paper wrap situation or even a cloth wrap situation, in a manila envelope, sent first class.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:02 am

Where to find short form: the Australian seller has it. I received a note from them saying they will test to find out which version was sent to me because they have both versions.

In any case: We do not need to trade but I would be glad to send you some of mine if you are interested, Frankie.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:45 pm

Short form Viili and Long form Viili are both at certifiablyfermented on ebay

outside US worth attention for several reasons

Return to “Viili”