[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)

Welcome to the new community forum!

Return to Website

Growing a scoby on surface??? - Yemoos Nourishing Cultures Forum

Growing a scoby on surface???

Ginger Beer Questions, Observations, Recipe and Flavoring Ideas, etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Jpsleight
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Growing a scoby on surface???

Postby Jpsleight » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:59 pm

Hi-

I just had to have the GBP to go with my other critters and because we love ginger beer and I had been making it with a 'ginger bug'.

But,... My GBP doesn't seem to be doing anything (growing) but it is growing a "scoby" for lack of a better description. The GBP looks like sludge. I am feeling bummed. I have milk, water kefir, Jun and standard kombucha scobies growing prolifically. I am not new to fermenting. This is the first issue I have encountered that haven't been able troubleshoot.

Is the growth on the surface normal? Did my GBP die in the heat before it arrived. (It did get here in the hottest week of the summer).

history: first time I fed it with white sugar and molasses in ginger water made from grated ginger steeped in hot water which was allowed to cool. Next time I used white sugar and raw sugar with a little molasses and finally white sugar and succanat. I am getting ready to feed it again but not sure there is any point.

I would genuinely appreciate any input.

Jace

Re: Growing a scoby on surface???

Postby Jace » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:19 pm

Hi!

I've been doing ginger beer for a while and I've noticed that it does usually form a type of surface scoby or film. I read someone that its very common with ginger beer plant. And my GBP looks a little like applesauce. Go by the smell and taste. It should still taste delicious.

Return to “Ginger Beer Plant”