[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)

Welcome to the new community forum!

Return to Website

Metabolizing well, but not growing - Yemoos Nourishing Cultures Forum

Metabolizing well, but not growing

Ginger Beer Questions, Observations, Recipe and Flavoring Ideas, etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
xaumana
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Metabolizing well, but not growing

Postby xaumana » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:00 pm

Hey there! =)

Greetings from Bulgaria, and please excuse my english if it sucks.

I`m somewhat self-taught, kinda experienced fermenter, I`ve been making my own yogurt, whine, bread vinegar and other stuff for some years now. So the moment I read about the existence of the GBP, I wanted to have that culture. I DIDN`T HAVE any experience with more complex symbiotic organisms like the kefir and kombucha and the like, so it was my FIRST encounter.

So, I decided to purchace Water Kefir AND a GBP batch, so I could study them and compare them. I bought the dehidrated cultures from the .

But my GBP is not growing at all =( It`s been 3 months now. In the begining, WK and GBP were acclimatized with 750ml sugar water. Now, 3 months after, and I`m producing 5 litres Water Kefir for 4 days (summer conditions) and 750ml Ginger Beer for 4 days - no change at all.

I`m feeding them MUSCOVADO sugar exclusively. Mineral water (from a natural mineral drinking source, that is - I don`t buy it).

At first, I was juicing some ginger fresh juice to mix with the MUSCOVADO sugar, for GBP feeding. I`m cold pressing the juice. Tried diferent quantities of it. Tried WITHOUT the juice - sugar only... It seems, I got no reaction. Metabolizing time still the same, results still satisfying, excellent taste, outside visible indications - satisfactory.

But no growth at all =(

On the other side, my WK multiplies like crazy. BUT its pretty fine, very small, almost microscopic kefir bodies. Looks more like slag. But, if given longer time, the slag forms in bigger grains (still small, but grains non the less). I mention this, because it could indicate something about the surrounding conditions for my fermentations.

And I have no luck with the GBP =(

Please help? :/ with information, ideas and advice. Nobody in the web seems to know anything... and in small countries like Bulgaria nobody has even heard of such an organism (except the kefirs).

Is... Kenmare a good place to buy the culture from? Do you have an opinion about the origin? Could it be that my GBP strain has been manipulated?

P.S.
Forgot to specify - I ferment them BOTH anaerobicaly. I use water valve.

AlexP

Re: Metabolizing well, but not growing

Postby AlexP » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:37 am

Hi,

GBP is known for being quite stubborn to grow at times. More so than water kefir grains. I've noticed that heavy mineral sugars can eventually slow and stop growth even though can still produce a good product. I had GBP like that and I tried everything and the only thing that has helped to get them growing again was to give them a really good rinse and rest in non-chlorinated water for a few days in the fridge. Then do a couple batches and it seems to help reset and rejuvenate them. If they do start growing again, they may just need the occasional rinse or short rest in the fridge to keep them going. Or you can try a lighter sugar to help sustain them longer.

Alex

xaumana

Postby xaumana » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:19 pm

Thank you! =)

Will schedule experiments and report back.

zefron

Postby zefron » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:51 am

that is a very good post by you ,.....
Graduated from University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.

Return to “Ginger Beer Plant”