[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)

Welcome to the new community forum!

Return to Website

Ginger Beer Issue - Yemoos Nourishing Cultures Forum

Ginger Beer Issue

Ginger Beer Questions, Observations, Recipe and Flavoring Ideas, etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ayb97
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Ginger Beer Issue

Postby ayb97 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:18 am

Hello,

New to the forum. I just started messing around with making ginger beer using a GBP that a friend gave me. I am on my third batch and am having mixed results. Each batch yields approx 2 liters that fit into 3 swing top bottles. The first batch had 1 bottle that had great carbonation and the other 2 were flat. Batch 2 I just bottled 4 days ago but it seems like very poor carbonation in all 3. In batch 2, i added 1 teaspoon of sugar to one bottle, the juice from 10 crushed blueberries to another bottle and left the last bottle alone. Batch 3 is still in the fermentation jug. Am I missing a step here? Why is my carbonation all over the place? Any help will be appreciated.

Mike

AlexP

Re: Ginger Beer Issue

Postby AlexP » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:28 am

Carbonation has a lot to do with the first ferment. If you don't get enough active yeast during that ferment, then you will probably have weak carbonation no matter what you do with the 2nd ferment, even when adding fresh sugar or fruits. What recipe are you using for the initial ferment? Make sure you get a good balance of sugar with some dark sugar or fresh ginger to help get it more active.

Alex

ayb97

Postby ayb97 » Tue May 03, 2016 11:17 am

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried several different recipes and had mixed results. Could you suggest a recipe to try?

telloyd

Postby telloyd » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:27 am

Maybe you're overfeeding it? I have found with my other cultures that it's much better to use too less sugar than too much - especially if you're using brown sugar. Try halving the amount of sugar.

Also, although Yemoos doesn't mention it in their instructions, by far the best way to increase and strengthen your GBP is to fee it egg shells every second cycle. So, one cycle to ferment and one to recover.

Return to “Ginger Beer Plant”