[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)

Welcome to the new community forum!

Return to Website

Slimy water kefir - Yemoos Nourishing Cultures Forum

Slimy water kefir

Water Kefir Questions, Observations, Recipe and Flavoring Ideas, etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Rafael
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Slimy water kefir

Postby Rafael » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:44 pm

Does anyone have experience with slimy kefir?

After leaving my water kefir to ferment for a couple of weeks (not intentionally, I forgot about it) it turned very slimy. The fermented liquid was so viscous that some kefir grains where actually suspended throughout it (instead of sinking to the bottom or floating at the top). I tossed that batch and made a few new ones, and although each subsequent batch turned out a bit less slimy, I haven't gotten a completely "clean" one yet.

Has anyone else experienced something like that? Why did the kefir turn slimy? Is it because of an overgrowth of yeast? Should I get rid of the kefir grains? Any ideas?

AlexP

Re: Slimy water kefir

Postby AlexP » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:24 am

It definitely sounds like yeast overgrowth. It can take some time to naturally correct. Maybe even a couple weeks. If not, the next thing you can try is to give them a rinse and rest in the fridge for a few days to help reset everything.

Alex

Rafael

Re: Slimy water kefir

Postby Rafael » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:02 pm

Hi Alex, thanks for your response.

I've tried reviving the kefir grains like you suggested but it didn't work. I think they died completely and so I composted them.

The strange thing is that I had only used them a handful of times after I bought them. I think it must have been a compromised batch. Because now I bought fresh kefir grains from another source and they are working great and multipyling like crazy. The other ones never actually gew and multiplied. So I think they were bad to begin with.

Now I know better - not all kefir grains that are sold are automatically good quality. I'm happy to finally have some that work as they should and are readily multiplying. :-)

Return to “Water Kefir”