[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)

Welcome to the new community forum!

Return to Website

storing water or milk kefir - Yemoos Nourishing Cultures Forum

storing water or milk kefir

Water Kefir Questions, Observations, Recipe and Flavoring Ideas, etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
aaa
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

storing water or milk kefir

Postby aaa » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:19 pm

I want to take a break from making more kefir, both water and milk.

I have prepared both per usual, for making more, but not I want to put it in the fridge and arrest development of more kefir for a week, or two.

My question is - should I cover it, or not?

I'm using canning jars and have tight fitting lids for them.

Should I put these lids on the jars?

Or should I put the usual breathable fine mesh cloth on the jars in the fridge.

Thank you other kefir makers, out there in the kefir community!

April Anderson

aaa

Re: storing water or milk kefir

Postby aaa » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:22 pm

Woops, sorry about typo; my post should read

I want to take a break from making more kefir, both water and milk.

I have prepared both per usual, for making more, but NOW I want to put it in the fridge and arrest development of more kefir for a week, or two.

AlexP

Postby AlexP » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:02 am

It's best stored with a closed lid so it doesn't dry up in the fridge and so it doesn't cross with anything else in there. It usually does not build up enough pressure in the fridge to cause any concern about it breaking the jar, especially for a week or two.

Alex

boilerroom

Postby boilerroom » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:35 pm

If metal lids, put plastic wrap under to prevent intimate contact with metal.

JenJ

Postby JenJ » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:40 pm

I was also unsure about how to store them in the fridge regarding a closed lid or breathable one...and so I just left the breathable lids on and put them in the fridge. They have been in there for about 2 weeks. They had been fermented 48hours prior and I just put them in the fridge in after that (in the liquid). I have not fed them since. When you are on a break...how long can you keep them in the fridge in that state? and...are you supposed to keep feeding them anything when they are on the break?

Return to “Water Kefir”