[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)

Welcome to the new community forum!

Return to Website

Alcohol content - Yemoos Nourishing Cultures Forum

Alcohol content

Water Kefir Questions, Observations, Recipe and Flavoring Ideas, etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Anna635
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Alcohol content

Postby Anna635 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:33 pm

Hello.

anyone able to advise on decreasing alcohol content in water kefir, even after bottling and refrigerated? Mine doesn't seem to keep well. Thanks!

AlexP

Re: Alcohol content

Postby AlexP » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:28 pm

Less starting sugar will ultimately lower the alcohol. The grains themselves keep the alcohol level low, so the biggest potential for alcohol to rise is after you strain it and you store it. Avoid adding any extra sugar or juice for the second ferment and drink it as fresh as possible. The yeast is very active during the summer which is what is responsible for the alcohol, so it is common to have increased alcohol this time of year. A consistently cooler environment usually helps make it more bacteria instead of yeasty (possible alcohol). And sometimes if you are using a recipe that has tons of minerals / supplements, that can also contribute to excess yeast and alcohol.

Alex

JenJ

Re: Alcohol content

Postby JenJ » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:26 pm

Hi,
New to the forum so I am not sure if I should have replied within Anna's original question when I have an different Q related to alcohol content?

I have friends who want to give it to their children and are concerned about alcohol content. Is there a way to know/measure the alcohol content/% to be accurate about what I am telling them? And..if it continues to ferment/or become more alcohol the longer its stored (refrigerated) is there a concern that it will become so alcohol its unsafe for children, and if so at what point?

*I use a second ferment with various juices...based on the kids preferences and as mentioned that may increase the alcohol content.

Jen

Return to “Water Kefir”