[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)

Welcome to the new community forum!

Return to Website

Can I mix 2 different sources of water kefir grains? - Yemoos Nourishing Cultures Forum

Can I mix 2 different sources of water kefir grains?

Water Kefir Questions, Observations, Recipe and Flavoring Ideas, etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PooiMun
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Can I mix 2 different sources of water kefir grains?

Postby PooiMun » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:05 am

Hi, I have a question I hope someone can help me with. I have some water kefir grains I have been culturing for 6 months but they do not seem to grow.

Then my friend kindly passed me another tablespoon of her water kefir grains as hers were growing quite fast. I did a first fermentation with my wkg and her wkg separately. It looks like my wkg are actually more active with more bubbles, compared to hers.

My question is...can I mix my water kefir grains with her water kefir grains and ferment them all together? Or should I just stick to one and eat the other? Thanks

AlexP

Re: Can I mix 2 different sources of water kefir grains?

Postby AlexP » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:00 pm

Yes you can combine grains, but its hard to predict the end result. Most of the time the more dominate, active grains will win out or they can become the best of both worlds. Try using just part of the grains to test it first if you are concerned. It sounds like your grains may have greater yeast activity with all those bubbles, but from what I understand, its more about the bacteria activity that determines the rate of growth.

Alex

Return to “Water Kefir”