[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)

Welcome to the new community forum!

Return to Website

Sugar Content - Yemoos Nourishing Cultures Forum

Sugar Content

Water Kefir Questions, Observations, Recipe and Flavoring Ideas, etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
plumfieldcirca 1868
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sugar Content

Postby plumfieldcirca 1868 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:41 pm

Do you know what the sugar content is in the water kefir after the fermentaion process? I've heard that kombacha tea has no sugar content after it's ready to drink.

AlexP

Re: Sugar Content

Postby AlexP » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:03 am

I believe generally atleast half the sugar is used up during a typical water kefir ferment. Some say up to 80%. If you prefer less sugar, longer ferments (with or without the grains) will slowly consume the sugar until there is not much left. When kombucha is ready, there's still sugar content left, but its probably less than water kefir due to the longer ferment. Many people prefer water kefir to be atleast semi-sweet (sweeter than kombucha) but its a personal preference on how much sugar you want left over (or how much you begin with).

Alex

JenJ

Postby JenJ » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:30 pm

If you wait an extra day or two after the initial 48hour ferment to allow more of the sugar content to be lessened will that harm the grains having been without "food/sugar" for several extra days?

kagy

Postby kagy » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:10 pm

I am brand new to the kefir culture, but have extensive experience with other cultures, specifically sour dough, yogurt and beer.

It's been my experience that cultures such as these are very hearty, and difficult to kill. High heat (above 110ºF) for a prolonged period, or high alcohol are two ways to do so. But yeasts won't produce enough alcohol to kill themselves. They will stop converting sugars into alcohol after a point, and then it is impossible to raise alcohol content above a certain point without adding more sugar.

So letting a water kefir sit for a longer period of time in order to diminish sugar to the lowest point possible should not completely kill the kefir crystals, but it may be that you'd have to revive them in the next batch by putting them in a fresh water/sugar solution, letting sit for a day or two, and repeating.

All that said, I'd love to know the glycemic index for a finished water kefir. My wife is diabetic, and I assume that the drink is too sweet for her.

jejohannes11

Postby jejohannes11 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:50 pm

I just ordered a refractometer to test the sugar and alcohol content in my finished kefir. It is used as a tool in brewing beer to find sugar/alcohol. Do you think it should work the same with kefir??

jejohannes11

Postby jejohannes11 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:55 pm

What I am wondering is if I test (with the refractometer/or a hydrometer more commonly used) a batch of raspberry kefir (berries used in a second ferment) after its been on the counter for 24 hours (after the initial 48hours)...and it reads a specific sugar/alcohol level then even if I put it in the fridge it will continue to change right?? So there is really no controls to have a more predictable finished product? I have friends asking who are pregnant and want to consume... or giving it to there children. I want to be able to advise properly so they can enjoy it but not reap any negative repercussions if they have it in their fridge for a a couple weeks.

Return to “Water Kefir”