[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)

Welcome to the new community forum!

Return to Website

white substance on water kefir grain, normal? - Yemoos Nourishing Cultures Forum

white substance on water kefir grain, normal?

Water Kefir Questions, Observations, Recipe and Flavoring Ideas, etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
erickwesz
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

white substance on water kefir grain, normal?

Postby erickwesz » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:52 am

Hi, please introduce myself, my name is Erick, I'm from Indonesia. Around 1 month ago I bought some kefir grain (around 75g) from local store. Unfortunately the guy from the store know nothing about how to take care of the kefir grain, so I had to browse and read lots of articles about this, including the one on yemoos which I think is the most complete one.

So then I followed some traditional recipes to feed the kefir grain, most of the time, I am using organic cane sugar, raisins, and some mineral drops. Sometime coconut water, sometime I add dried goji berries, sometime I add molasses...

My kefir grain grow which I think around 300-400%, now it's around 500-600g which is good according to most articles I've read.

But lately I spot a white substance on my kefir grain, mostly in large grains, and some in the bottom. but it's hardly to see, except if I use flashlight. It still translucent.

IMG_0152a.JPG
IMG_0152a.JPG (110.57 KiB) Viewed 10095 times

IMG_0153a.JPG
IMG_0153a.JPG (61.76 KiB) Viewed 10095 times

IMG_0153b.JPG
IMG_0153b.JPG (66.44 KiB) Viewed 10095 times

Most of the time I rinse the grains and the container every finish batch.
Anyway the taste and smell still pleasant..

Is it normal?

Here is the video of the grain fermenting, around 7 hours from the time I change the water-sugar solution...

Best Regards
Erick

ps. Sorry for my English, hope you understand.. :)

AlexP

Re: white substance on water kefir grain, normal?

Postby AlexP » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:01 am

Try skipping the raisins (and any dried fruit) and see if that helps. I'm not exactly sure why, but I know raisins can sometimes put that white stuff on the grains. As long as it still smells and tastes pleasant, then I wouldn't be concerned though. Also rinsing the grains every batch may not be necessary. You can rinse away some of the good surface bacteria that it has to rebuild every batch. Less rinsing usually helps keep them better balanced.

Alex

Return to “Water Kefir”