[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)

Welcome to the new community forum!

Return to Website

Water Kefir Struggles - Yemoos Nourishing Cultures Forum

Water Kefir Struggles

Water Kefir Questions, Observations, Recipe and Flavoring Ideas, etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
J.B.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Water Kefir Struggles

Postby J.B. » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:36 am

Hello,

I've been brewing water kefir for the last few months, but the last 3-5 weeks I have been having some trouble. My batches would turn out, as expected, perfect within 24-48hours of primary ferment and 24 hours of bottle conditioning. However, now after 48 hours of primary ferment and after removing the grains, a 48 hour secondary in bottle ferment, (with ginger and lemon juice as my sugar sources and baking soda or sea salt as my mineral sources), my water kefir is no longer getting below a pH of 5 and is just sweet water and no carbonation if I'm fortunate. However, I've gotten quite a few batches where an almost scummy off smelling and off flavor develop during secondary ferment. The batches, after primary fermentation is done, smell perfectly normal, slightly sweet and yeasty and at pH of high 5's to mid to high 6's. The only way I can get the batches to turn out through secondary ferment is with the use of unsulphured molasses as my mineralization base or high sugar content juices. I understand that there is a conditioning period for the water kefir grains to get use to the water you use, but I don't think it should slow down to almost a stop. The grains continue to multiply, but they are small to medium in size with a number of large grains and tons of small developing grains. I have been using The Ginger People ginger juice and Santa Cruz lemon juice as my go to juices and I use Wholesome brand's organic granulated evaporated cane sugar as my sugar source, while using carbon filtered well water and straight well water at times.

Has anyone had a similar problem and did you figure out a resolve to it?

kmrmike

Re: Water Kefir Struggles

Postby kmrmike » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:45 pm

Hello, I am by no means an expert regarding Kefir but just to give some ideas from someone outside the loop that may help.
I think using well water is a good choice as it has natural minerals already that your Kefir grain like. They also like sugar, and after your first ferment much of the sugar is used up to produce the probiotics we want. When you use the ginger and lemon in the 2nd fermentation, there is not much sugar in those products and also the grain has been removed for the 2nd fermation process. {only yeast and bacteria to create carbonation}. Maybe this is why the 100% juice you mention works.
If I was having the same problem I would start over and keep it simple...start with your 1st fermentation- you have no problem...on 2nd fermentation just use the Kefir water to ferment and carbonate and do not add sea salt or backing soda, but through taste test add enough sugar for the yeast and bacteria to consume for carbonation. I don;t think sea salt or baking soda is neccessary in the 2nd ferment.
Make sure your containers have been well rinsed before use. And Kefir likes a change once in a while...different type of sugar,juice, water,minerals, etc.
Good luck, I;d be interested in your results...Mike (not an expert)

Return to “Water Kefir”