[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)

Welcome to the new community forum!

Return to Website

Inactive grains? - Yemoos Nourishing Cultures Forum

Inactive grains?

Water Kefir Questions, Observations, Recipe and Flavoring Ideas, etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
TamL
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Inactive grains?

Postby TamL » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:12 am

I've been brewing my water kefir for nearly 2 months. Previously the water was very bubbly. I've been using an 8 litre continuous brew jar. A few days ago I decided to clean the jar so I removed the grains and after cleaning I returned a quarter of the original kefir liquid and filled the rest with sugar water and returned the grains.

Since that day the water has no bubbles at all. I'm in a warm tropical climate. It's 82f temperature or 28c. It's been 3 days since I cleaned the jar. If I tap the jar there are no bubbles.

Have my grains become inactive or dormant?

Also I noticed when I returned the grains to the fresh sugar water the grains made the water go cloudy. Is this a sign of too much yeast?

I have been using only white sugar so last night I added a teaspoon of molasses, 2 unsulphered prunes, a chunk of ginger and 1/4 tsp of baking soda. This morning there is no change. I've also added a slice of lemon with peel as I read it can help balance the pH if there's too much yeast.

I have backup grains in the fridge. Should I remove the current grains and put them in the fridge for a rest and use my fridge grains instead? Is there anything else I can do to get the grains to become active and make bubbles again?

Even before I cleaned the jar noticed my second ferment was much less fizzy then previously. I think the grains have been slowing down for a while.

Any advice is appreciated.

J.B.

Re: Inactive grains?

Postby J.B. » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:40 am

I'm sorry your question never got answered. It seems nobody visits the forums anymore after the beginning of 2021.

Return to “Water Kefir”