[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)

Welcome to the new community forum!

Return to Website

Low calorie water kefir like Kevita Lemon Cayenne - Yemoos Nourishing Cultures Forum

Low calorie water kefir like Kevita Lemon Cayenne

Water Kefir Questions, Observations, Recipe and Flavoring Ideas, etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
roborobo
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Low calorie water kefir like Kevita Lemon Cayenne

Postby roborobo » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:13 am

I am enjoying drinking "Kevita Sparkling Probiotic Drink" which I believe is a variant on water kefir. It contains just 10 calories per 16 oz and <1g sugar per 8 oz (for the lemon cayenne flavor). The ingredients are purified water, culture, apple cider vinegar, lemon extract, cayenne extract, maple extract, stevia extract, and lactic acid.

I would like to make something like this using water kefir grains. Any thoughts on how I might approach duplicating the recipe for a low calorie/ low sugar water kefir like this?

I'm assuming that the lactic acid isn't actually added to the kefir but rather is a product of the fermentation process? And that the maple extract is what is feeding the kefir?

Thanks! I am completely new to this.

AlexP

Re: Low calorie water kefir like Kevita Lemon Cayenne

Postby AlexP » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:02 pm

I believe Kevita is a weak imitation of water kefir. They use manufactured strains (not direclty form a culture) and then flavored with stevia and extracts / flavoring. I don't think the carbonation is from the natural fermentation either. The added vinegar, extracts and lactic acid is to make it seem its a proper ferment. If you are trying to duplicate it, just try a low sugar recipe and add the extracts you like if its not strong enough. Keep in mind that the grains need sufficient sugar to be sustained long term.

Alex

Return to “Water Kefir”