[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)

Welcome to the new community forum!

Return to Website

Yeast-Bacteria Off-Balance? - Yemoos Nourishing Cultures Forum

Yeast-Bacteria Off-Balance?

Water Kefir Questions, Observations, Recipe and Flavoring Ideas, etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Dan1el
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Yeast-Bacteria Off-Balance?

Postby Dan1el » Tue May 03, 2016 4:34 am

I tried warming the kefir jar (and what was in it: water kefir grains + liquid) in a warm water bath, and later (after borrowing a thermometer from a neighbor - I have my own now) found that the temperature was definitely above optimal range (from what I understand this would be 75-80F). I continued warming the jar, but used cooler water, but the drink came out sour and I was told it was because the yeast had been more active or something.

Side-Note: I also saw some (not many) of the grains had brown spots (though I should mention they were eating nettle tea with Non-GMO Project certified evaporated sugar cane juice and organic molasses - this could have been the reason for the browning).

Has the yeast-bacteria balance been thrown off? If it has, how does one restore it? Can one?

AlexP

Re: Yeast-Bacteria Off-Balance?

Postby AlexP » Sat May 07, 2016 4:06 pm

Water kefir grains are resilient and will naturally re-balance with continued batches or feeding. Typically that is all you need. The grains can pick up color from the sugar or ingredients used, so that may be what that is. If the grains get to a point where they smell or taste really bad, you can help restore them with a rinse and then putting them in a jar of water in the fridge for a few days.

Alex

Return to “Water Kefir”