[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)

Welcome to the new community forum!

Return to Website

Too Many Water Kefir Grains - Yemoos Nourishing Cultures Forum

Too Many Water Kefir Grains

Water Kefir Questions, Observations, Recipe and Flavoring Ideas, etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
sheraM
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Too Many Water Kefir Grains

Postby sheraM » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:02 am

I am having an issue with my Water kefir grains. I have been following different ways to keep water kefir grains healthy, eggs shells, Celtic sea salt, coconut sugar, blackstrap molasses, organic sugar, in different rotations. I have 3 half gallon jars going and about 4 cups of water kefir grains in each jar, they are small but it seems like there is carbonation producing because I rotate close jar with breathable mesh.

I realize I have too many grains in each jar, and I'm not quite sure how to use them up other than mixing in juices which isn't the most pleasant for us, and not enough people interested in trying it out. My question comes down to this, 1. how to use them, other than blending and putting in compost. 2. can the grains still grow in a jar with a lot of kefir grains? and if so what is the sugar to water ratio in that case. I haven't tried freezing because Ive heard the quality of the grain diminishes when you do so. 3. If I dehydrate them, how long can they stay in the form to remain healthy?

Robinstar

Re: Too Many Water Kefir Grains

Postby Robinstar » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:41 pm

Hi,

Water kefir grains store well in the fridge as long as they are submerged in water. I've pulled out grains sitting in the fridge for over a year and they perked right back up after 2 batches. Drying works okay too. Try drying the grains and THEN freezing. They will store a very long time them. If you freeze them in their live state, the freezing will break the structure, but if you freeze them after they are dried, then the freeze won't break them.

dwolden

Postby dwolden » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:37 am

Eat the extras - I do. Put them in a smoothie or a salad.

hamptonlindsay

Postby hamptonlindsay » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:03 pm

Ok thank you for help :)

Return to “Water Kefir”