[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)

Welcome to the new community forum!

Return to Website

Can I mix 2 different sources of milk kefir grains? - Yemoos Nourishing Cultures Forum

Can I mix 2 different sources of milk kefir grains?

Milk Kefir Questions, Observations, Recipe and Flavoring Ideas, etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
PooiMun
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Can I mix 2 different sources of milk kefir grains?

Postby PooiMun » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:00 am

Hi, I have a question I hope someone can help me with. I have some milk kefir grains I have been culturing for 4 months. Then my friend passed me another tablespoon of her milk kefir grains. My question is...can I mix her milk kefir grains with my current milk kefir grains and culture them all together? Thanks

AlexP

Re: Can I mix 2 different sources of milk kefir grains?

Postby AlexP » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:09 pm

For sure. Milk kefir grains usually combine well. The thing about milk kefir grains is even if you separate them, they generally will all adapt to your environment (your milk, temperature, etc) in the same way. I've had grains that looked and started out very different, but after a couple or weeks, they turned out almost exactly the same as the grains I already had. And they were isolated from each other. It was fascinating to see that.

Alex

Gypsy

Re: Can I mix 2 different sources of milk kefir grains?

Postby Gypsy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:45 am

i used to keep my 2 different kefir grain strains seperated but eventually just mixed them all together because how rapidly they were growing, no issues what so ever. The milk for both was the same, the envviroment was the same, the marriage has been successful, so dont be hesitant to combine them, AlexP's results are pretty much same as mine.
Happy Kefiring!

Return to “Milk Kefir”