[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)

Welcome to the new community forum!

Return to Website

Cleaning the ferment jar? - Yemoos Nourishing Cultures Forum

Cleaning the ferment jar?

Milk Kefir Questions, Observations, Recipe and Flavoring Ideas, etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
acron
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Cleaning the ferment jar?

Postby acron » Thu May 07, 2015 1:41 am

Hello,
I'm quite new at this and have found so much good information on the site.
One question I have that I cannot find anything post about is the jar you use to ferment the kefir in.
Each day do you wash this jar out or just strain the milk out keep the grains in and add more milk?
If so, do you ever have to wash the jar, like once a week, or should it really be done once a day?
Thanks

AlexP

Re: Cleaning the ferment jar?

Postby AlexP » Thu May 07, 2015 1:59 pm

That's a good question and I don't think there's a right answer. Some people use a perfectly clean jar every time, some do quick rinses while others wait until the build up gets so bad that they have to clean the fermenting jar. It likely doesn't matter too much, but kefir residue on the jar does speed up the ferment, so if you are looking for a slower ferment then a cleaner jar is better. Otherwise the grains will adapt to your preferred method.

Alex

Robinstar

Postby Robinstar » Thu May 07, 2015 2:06 pm

I have a funny story with this. One time when I was fermenting milk kefir, I was doing a couple jars and I accidently doubled up the grains in one and left out the grains in the other jar. But because the jar wasn't clean and had kefir on the sides it fully fermented the milk without any grains! It even had whey separation and everything. So I think just having a little bit of kefir residue on the jar does a surprisingly amount of fermentation by itself!

After seeing that, I prefer to keep it mostly clean but not perfectly clean. I give it a good rinse every batch and if it ever builds up significantly I will do a complete clean or use a new jar.

acron

Postby acron » Fri May 08, 2015 2:37 am

Thanks Alex and Robinstar,
I like that the residue helps and has some purpose, I'd prefer not to wash the jar each day. I did think of doing a quick rinse but wondered:
When you rinse, do you use just tap water? I was worried about the chlorine affecting the grains. Maybe the small amount left will not hurt them.

AlexP

Postby AlexP » Fri May 08, 2015 2:23 pm

If the grains are not overly strained, there will still be quite a lot of kefir residue around the grains that will help protect and kick-start the next batch. It's probably not necessary to have any residue on the jar, but at the same time it doesn't really hurt either. So whatever is easier or works best for you, is probably the best option. As far as rinsing, non-chlorinated water is ideal, but many people do use tap and it shouldn't be a problem. Like you said, the small amount left shouldn't affect the grains and if you are concerned, you can dry the jar.

Alex

Return to “Milk Kefir”