[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)

Welcome to the new community forum!

Return to Website

Strainer bags for individual grains? - Yemoos Nourishing Cultures Forum

Strainer bags for individual grains?

Milk Kefir Questions, Observations, Recipe and Flavoring Ideas, etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
HarrisB
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Strainer bags for individual grains?

Postby HarrisB » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:01 pm

I'm totally new to making kefir and the first challenge I've come across is separating the kefir grains from the thick curds. It can be so hard to pick them out. One solution I read about is putting your grains in muslin bags, but that can make the milk ferment less.

What if I made strainer bags out of plastic that's open like a real strainer? Or even more open than that, and just tight enough to keep the grains inside? I figure I could even use different sizes of mesh for different sized grains. I'd love to hear what y'all think.

AlexP

Re: Strainer bags for individual grains?

Postby AlexP » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:31 pm

You are right about the muslin bags. It sounds like a great idea, but it just doesn't ferment as well. It's possible to make something else, but I would caution against using anything plastic. I personally do not trust plastic (even food grade plastic) for long term contact with kefir as it is very acidic and will leech the plastic. I would simply recommend getting the timing right on the ferment and not let it overfement. If you catch it at the right time, its quite easy to strain.

Alex

Return to “Milk Kefir”