[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)

Welcome to the new community forum!

Return to Website

Sudden problem with goat milk kefir - Yemoos Nourishing Cultures Forum

Sudden problem with goat milk kefir

Milk Kefir Questions, Observations, Recipe and Flavoring Ideas, etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
bonwillow
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sudden problem with goat milk kefir

Postby bonwillow » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:36 pm

Hi ~ I love the Yemoos site and send everyone who wants to know about kefir here! I have been making kefir from low-pasteurized, unhomogenized, local goats milk for about two years now. I love it, and love watching my little grains grow and change. Last week I bought a different brand of low-heat-pasturized, unhomogenized, local goats milk. Everything else in my process was the same. On the third day, it had totally separated, with water (whey?) at the bottom and a thick, stinking, putrid mass on the top. It smelled horrible!

What in the world happened? Any ideas?

I rinsed my grains thoroughly, cleaned the jar, and put the grains back in. They look plump and white and healthy, and smell nice after being rinsed. They don't appear to be dead. Not having any other options, I poured a little layer of the same (new brand) goats milk over them. Should i just try again? Maybe a bug flew into the kefir and made it turn bad??? Other ideas...?

AlexP

Re: Sudden problem with goat milk kefir

Postby AlexP » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:41 pm

A couple thoughts. What you are describing sounds like kefir that is over fermented (All the whey at the bottom and tons of curds on the surface). It's unlikely that any kind of contamination could cause that. You mention that you used a different brand. When you use raw milk or milk that has a lot of good bacteria, it tends to ferment much more bacteria rich and slower and is less likely to separate into curds and whey quickly. So perhaps that new brand is significantly more pasteurized or lacking the good bacteria that the last brand had. It shouldn't cause any issue with your grains and they will probably adapt to the new milk. Try using less grains or more milk and see if that helps.

Alex

bonwillow

Postby bonwillow » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:38 pm

Thanks so much, Alex. That was helpful. UPDATE: As mentioned, I cleaned the grains and poured more of that new brand of goat milk over them. Three days later... totally separated, and a stinking horribly smelly mass on the top. Once again I cleaned the poor grains, and put them in a jar of purified water. Today I got some of the original brand of goat milk. I'm betting that it will be just fine this time.

Alex, I have one more question: You suggest that the new milk probably was more pasturized and/or had less good bacteria. I understand that, and agree that probably that's the case. But why the stinking spoilage of the top layer? I don't understand why it was ruined. Maybe... because it didn't ferment very effectively, it just spoiled like any unrefrigerated milk would do?

AlexP

Postby AlexP » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:07 pm

No problem at all. When it does separate quickly and it over ferments like that it tends to give off a strong yeasty smell and if its goats milk, it can contribute to some even stronger smells. I'm not sure if I would say that its typical to smell like spoilage or rotten milk though. Sometimes if the ferment or grains are imbalanced, it can smell really horrible. Hopefully the change to the old milk will fix it. If the grains are a little imbalanced now, it may take a couple or so batches to get back to normal. Keep us updated!

Alex

Return to “Milk Kefir”