[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)

Welcome to the new community forum!

Return to Website

Kefir & Probiotics- - Yemoos Nourishing Cultures Forum

Kefir & Probiotics-

Milk Kefir Questions, Observations, Recipe and Flavoring Ideas, etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Marli
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Kefir & Probiotics-

Postby Marli » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:18 am

After doing some in depth reading on Kefir and it's benefits I decided to purchase my own.
Some history; I've suffered from acid reflux/GERD for a couple years now, my prime care doctor has had me on Protonix to reduce stomach acid but 2 years ago I began taking Culturelle. Within a few weeks I noticed a difference with my bowel habits as well as completely eliminating any acid reflux (despite taking Protonix). I chose to eliminate my Protonix completely and did well for approximately 9 months then very slowly the acid reflux came back.

I just began taking Culturelle two days ago so I'm not yet feeling the benefits. I have searched all over to find information on whether I can continue to take my Culturelle while also using Kefir? I've never used Kefir and I've read recommendations that small amounts should be taken when first introducing it to my digestive system. Anyone know the answer for Culturelle & Kefir together? TIA.

Frankie1

Re: Kefir & Probiotics-

Postby Frankie1 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:48 am

Hi

I don't see any reason why you can't take Culturelle and kefir together. From what I understand, culturelle is just one strain of bacteria, whereas kefir has many strains of bacteria as well as yeast. I think everyone is different though where some bacteria combinations work better for some people and not others. Yes, start slow with kefir as it can be strong if you are not used to it.

kagy

Postby kagy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:14 pm

I agree with Marli. I see no reason why the two can't be used together. You're simply combining cultures. The proof would be how it makes you feel. I suspect the worst you would experience is some bloating or gas, which should dissipate after a few days or weeks.

My own experience with kefir was that it initially eliminated my acid reflux, allowing me to discontinue my daily use of ranitidine. However, after some months my reflux returned, albeit at a much milder rate. I take ranitidine at a reduced rate.

When I first started kefir, I slugged down a full 8 oz., thinking that I was already accustomed to pro-biotics. It was too much! I had a "sour stomach" for a day; nothing more. After that I could handle as much as I liked. Now I take at least a cup a day, and have stopped using any OTC pro-biotics.

Marli

Postby Marli » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:49 am

I appreciate your shared experiences. I did decide to purchase a Kefir commercially prepared drink as I was curious what to expect as far as taste and texture. I have to say that I was a little apprehensive but after the first 2 sips I really like it! So far I'm not having any problem drinking it along with using the Culturelle and I know that once my own Milk Kefir grains arrive I'll have an idea of what to expect. So far so good in regards to my acid reflux! :)

kagy

Postby kagy » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:39 pm

Marli, in my own experience, commercial kefir doesn't taste much like home-made. I think they have to make it palatable to a large segment of the population, so I find the commercial stuff a bit sweeter and smoother.

I think you'll find the home-made more sour, with a texture not quite as smooth. But you'll have loads more flexibility with it! You can do a secondary ferment with citrus rind, banana, or anything you can think of. You can strain it in to a soft cheese -like consistency, add chives, garlic, etc., and turn it in to a chip-dip!

I like to use mine on grape nut cereal in the morning, with raisins and banana. I also blend it with a protein powder for drinking.

As for mixing it with other pro-biotics, it certainly won't hurt, but it could be superfluous. The strongest biotic will win, and overpower the rest.

Marli

Postby Marli » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:12 am

My Kefir arrived last Friday and I could not find a simple organic milk so I had to do with a local brand of milk. Seems the majority of milk products at my local grocers are ultra-pasteurized and the local brand did not read "ultra". My first couple of batches have been watery so last evening I reduced the milk by a 1/4 and I just strained the mix and it came to a nice consistency, not watery and slightly thickened. :)

Alphege

Postby Alphege » Thu May 07, 2020 7:53 pm

Kefir is safe for most people to consume, and a single serving is full of vitamins and probiotics. It's safe to consume daily, and it may help create and maintain a healthy balance of good bacteria in multiple systems within the body.

Return to “Milk Kefir”