[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)

Welcome to the new community forum!

Return to Website

New to Kefir - Yemoos Nourishing Cultures Forum

New to Kefir

Milk Kefir Questions, Observations, Recipe and Flavoring Ideas, etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Andrea
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

New to Kefir

Postby Andrea » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:28 am

I was really attracted to the promise of ease of preparation. Well, it's not working yet after 4 batches or rather the results are inconsistent. While "waking-up" the grains the milk thickened once, but from the very beginning after fermenting for 24 hours the smell has been very yeasty and the taste not too pleasant. The grains have grown, so I assume they should be able to produce a tasty kefir. So, here are some questions:

1. Is there a ratio of kefir grain to milk? 1 tblsp. grains to 1 cup of milk is mentioned in different sources as a good initial feeding of the grains. Thereafter I read that you can use 2-6 cups of milk. To 1 tblsp. of grains or to the amount the grains have grown into?
I realize now, that the last two times I did not remove the grains from the foamy coagulated substance they were surrounded with and used the whole mass to inoculate the next batch. Mistake?

2. Milk is not curdling. And even though it smells and tastes yeasty and funky, could it be used for something? Besides composting. I do not have a cow and milk in California has become expensive due to the drought. I hate throwing it away.

3.For the latest batch I removed the grains with a spoon and had about 1 1/2 tblsp. The rest of the "foam" I pushed through the sieve into the milk and that thickened it considerably. After one hour in the fridge the whey is separating from the milky top.

4. Is there anything that can be done to get a better balance between yeast and bacteria? The overpowering yeasty results I had so far are not inviting a desire to drink them.

This might be easier, but as a baker, I like formulas. I hope to figure this fluctuating process out, since I love drinking Kefir!

Frankie1

Re: New to Kefir

Postby Frankie1 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:27 pm

Hi!

1. 1 tbs to 1 cup is a good starting point, but once they get going, 1 tablespoon can do about 4 cups of milk. A little bit of left over kefir is fine and good, but too much may mess up the next batch.

2. If you have any dogs, cats or chickens, they may love it. Or you can try baking or cooking with it.

3. Foaming stuff sounds yeasty and can cause whey separation.

4. Grains can take time to rebalance. If they continue to be yeasty, try rinsing and resting in the fridge. Also cooler, longer ferments help make it more bacteria instead of yeasty. Try a long 2-3 day ferments once in a while, it can help balance the bacteria with overactive yeast.

Andrea

Re: New to Kefir

Postby Andrea » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:18 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll continue, after a resting period, as you suggested and am looking forward to post on my success.

Return to “Milk Kefir”