[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)

Welcome to the new community forum!

Return to Website

Coconut milk kefir with milk grains - Yemoos Nourishing Cultures Forum

Coconut milk kefir with milk grains

Milk Kefir Questions, Observations, Recipe and Flavoring Ideas, etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Topsy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Coconut milk kefir with milk grains

Postby Topsy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:04 am

Hi everyone. I have been reading about making coconut milk kefir with milk grains and have my first batch fermenting today. I have been told that milk grains will not continue to thrive in the long term in coconut milk. This makes me wonder if it is possible to make the coconut milk better for fermenting by adding another ingredient like molases. Has anyone tried this before either with molases or something else? Thanks, I just found this forum and this is my first post. I look forward to sharing my experiences with you all. :D

Robinstar

Re: Coconut milk kefir with milk grains

Postby Robinstar » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:29 pm

Hi!

I believe the problem with coconut milk is not the mineral content but rather the sugar. Molasses is really rich in minerals and could possibly work in larger quantities, but it would taste awful. Coconut milk has some pretty good minerals by itself, so maybe all you need is some sugar or lactose to help keep the grains going. I haven't tied it though, so I'm not certain.

Topsy

Re: Coconut milk kefir with milk grains

Postby Topsy » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:12 am

Thanks. I will try a few things and post my results. First batch with just organic coconut milk from a can and milk grains went nice and sour like milk kefir but there was no thickening. I let it ferment for 48 hours.

Return to “Milk Kefir”