[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 590: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 646: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1068: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)

Welcome to the new community forum!

Return to Website

Temperature fluctuations, straining issues - Yemoos Nourishing Cultures Forum

Temperature fluctuations, straining issues

Milk Kefir Questions, Observations, Recipe and Flavoring Ideas, etc.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
rogue_pat
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Temperature fluctuations, straining issues

Postby rogue_pat » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:12 pm

New to Kefir and so far, the learning curve is steep.
I like making Kefir because it's like owning a pet without having to clean up after it and it doesn't wake you up in the middle of the night.
I'm on my second set of kefir grains because I think I killed the first batch and now I think I killed the second batch.

It's winter. I've had difficulty getting the house temp up to 70 degrees, so I had been rehydrating the grains at about 66-67 degrees on the countertop, changing the milk every 24 hours. Nothing much seemed to be happening at all, for about a week. There were a few batches of curds and thickened milk, a few good batches of Kefir milk. I couldn't figure out what were curds and what were Kefir grains, so I rinsed the Kefir grains under spring water (no chlorine) and they quit growing at all. I think I shocked them. After that, I still kept putting them in 16 oz of milk, changing the milk every day and setting the jar on the kitchen counter to do its thing. There was a little life left in them as they started to perk up a bit after about a week, but not much.

Finally I decided it was too cold in the house, so I tried to keep the Kefir in a makeshift warmer environment. I strained the grains (which at that time, still looked like little yellow pencil erasers) and put them in 16 oz of whole milk in a Mason jar, then put the Mason jar in a water bath in a giant Pyrex bowl filled with water, then put the Pyrex bowl in a crockpot filled with water, set on "WARM". In about 12 hours, the milk became curds and whey. Yes, they were definitely alive, at least they WERE alive (because I had curds and whey again), until the temperature got too hot and I cooked them.

I strained the curds and whey through a steel mesh strainer and stirred the curds to separate out the Kefir grains, but now my Kefir had become a mushy mess and it was much smaller. There were no big granules anymore. Luckily, I salvaged the cheesy stuff but threw the whey out. Undeterred, I tried again with what was left, but this time, I bought a candy thermometer. Again, I filled the Pyrex jar full of water, filled the Mason jar with the Kefir and 16 oz of whole milk, placed the Mason jar in the Pyrex bowl, but this time I placed the Pyrex bowl on a heating pad set on low and put the thermometer in the water bath. The thermometer showed that the water bath was too cold and I was worried about starting a fire if I raised the heating pad up to medium and left the house. So I put away the heating pad and threw out the what was left of the (probably dead) Kefir. What was left in the strainer was a small amount of a substance that was unrecognizable as Kefir. It looked like sandy ricotta cheese.

I bought a new batch of Kefir. We are now in an unseasonable heat wave. I have been able to keep the temperature in the house at about 69 degrees during the day and the Kefir was doing OK rehydrating, but not much was happening for the first week. After the first week, it was definitely alive but struggling. The ambient temperature outside has been going down into the 20's at night and it gets pretty cold inside too, so last night I decided that instead of using a tall Mason jar, I would put the Kefir and milk in a short, wide Pyrex glass bowl and put the bowl in my electric yogurt maker with the lid of the yogurt maker on in order to maintain the temperature. Well, guess what? That's too hot, too.

When I strained the Kefir this morning, I saw that I was back to the whey and mushy mess in the strainer that almost all goes through the strainer when I mix it around. Nothing looking like cauliflower or pencil erasers. It looks like ricotta cheese. The last straw was that the two "good" batches from last week, my "successes" that I put in the fridge with a vanilla bean I got from Tahiti----I tasted it and it was HORRIBLE. It tasted like a really pungent, sour, vanilla flavored effervescent alcohol, nothing like the good tasting Kefir milk I get at the grocery store. I saw from a posting on your site that said Kefir can turn into alcohol. I knew it could produce a small amount of carbon dioxide and alcohol, but this stuff was just awful.

So what's the deal with the temperature? I'm going to name my pet Kefir "Goldilocks" because the temperature is always either too cold or too hot and it's never just right. How can I maintain the temperature in the winter?
Can I just let it sit out for 48 hours at 66 degrees?
How do I strain the Kefir gently? I seem to be brutalizing it into a mush with my little rubber spatula and my stainless steel sieve. I've even tried flipping the Kefir granules into the air and catching it with the sieve so as not to destroy it with the spatula. Still, it looks like ricotta cheese when I'm done with it, but that could be because I let it get too hot.

Even when the Kefir is working, the milk never really thickens. It just goes straight from thin milk to curds and whey. Plus, it's super sour and disgusting tasting, not sweet at all. My homemade plain unsweetened yogurt tastes naturally sweet. What am I doing wrong with the Kefir? And yes, I've read the forums (yours and others) and watched several videos on YouTube and at other websites. I know it's supposed to taste sweet and a little sour and it's just supposed to be so easy to make. Change the milk every 24 hours and let it sit at room temperature. How hard can that be? The videos never show what a failure looks like or how to recover from a failure or how to know if you've killed your Kefir or if you've got temperature problems. I'm not seeing any threads between the grains, just mush. Should I just give up with the countertop culturing and make the week-long refrigerator Kefir or is there something on the market to maintain the temperature of the milk for Kefir culturing?

Thanks for any help.

AlexP

Re: Temperature fluctuations, straining issues

Postby AlexP » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:33 pm

I think worse than cold temperatures is fluctuating temperatures. The grains can adapt to a cold temperature, but they have trouble with temperatures that swing from cold to hot or the other way around. Typically the yeast gets out of control. The best thing is to just try to keep the temperature consistent. You can ferment milk kefir in 60 degrees if its consistent. Try some kind of insulated box just to keep the temperature consistent. You can use water or another heat source, but its best if the temperature remains fairly constant. If it suddenly gets more heat then usual, it tends to get yeasty and imbalanced and may take a couple batches to rebalance.

The basic idea is simply to do less milk or more grains every batch if its not fermenting in 24 hours. Or use less grains / more milk if it overferments. If its consistently cold (less than 68 degrees), you can do 2-3 day ferments. But use the same method and keep adjusting the milk or grains until it works. And then let your grains adapt to the temperature. It does taste different with colder temperature, but it can still taste pleasant. Many people prefer a colder ferment because its more like yogurt, more bacteria, sour and less yeast.

As far as straining kefir that is really overfermented. The best way is to use its own whey (or some kind of water or milk). Put the grains and curds in a strainer and just keep pouring the liquid over the curds and grains and then push the grains around until the curds fall through the strainer. You likely have to do that process several times to get those curds through, but it should go through and leave the grains. It should not hurt the grains to be rough like that.

rogue_pat

Postby rogue_pat » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:50 pm

Thank you. Got it.
1. Keep temp constant
2. Save the whey for straining for a future over-fermentation
3. Buy a styrofoam cooler to keep temp constant.

Before I wrote back to you, I took another of your suggestions to someone else and put my kefir grains in some plain (Russian) yogurt to rest for a few days. Now I can restart using these suggestions. I'll write back with an update.
Thanks again.

rogue_pat

Postby rogue_pat » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:57 pm

I'm back. The plain yogurt trick worked great.

Return to “Milk Kefir”